Thursday, July 29, 2010

What's in a Name?!

So let's be honest here. Most of middle school/junior high is all a big blur. I can't differentiate memories very well for those three years. But there are a few things that stick out as being very 6th grade.

I mentioned last week that I was starting to get in the habit of not doing homework. 6th grade didn't cure this. In fact, I bet it made it a little worse.
Oh yeah, I was so challenging authority. And I got away with it a lot. I still made decent grades, A's, B's, the occasional C.
But there was that one subject. The subject I got busted in. Spelling.
Ms. Aadams.
The brand new happy perky idealistic cheerleader coach spelling teacher.
My worst nightmare. (I wasn't a fan of the cheerleader type.)
Well, spelling was not my favorite subject and I decided to not put forth any effort. Especially when it came to homework.
I'm not sure exactly how it came to this, but I had to get something signed by my parents due to my lack of homework doing. Of course I didn't want them to know that I was slacking so I did the only logical thing.

I forged my mother's signature.

In retrospect, very very stupid move, but I thought I was brilliant at the time.
So I turned in this forged paper and thought I was a big dog.
Until the next day.
She called me to her desk and told me she knew that my mother hadn't signed the paper.
I was shocked!! How did she know??? (Duh, the 6th grade handwriting!)

Well, another note came home and I had to tell my mother what I had done. I was sure I was dead. Big, big, big trouble here!! Until my mom started laughing. See, this note said that my grade was in "grave jeopardy." And my mother was tickled by this. She asked if I even knew what "grave jeopardy" was. Well of course not! To me, jeopardy was something that came on after Wheel of Fortune!! So the jokes started about "grave jeopardy" being the round after "double jeopardy." And I'm sure I did get in trouble. And my grade was no longer in grave jeopardy. And maybe, for a while, I did my homework for that class.


But I still giggle about it all.
Sure as heck didn't learn any lesson about homework!
But I never, never signed my mother's name again!!

5 comments:

  1. Your story had me laughing! I sure needed that today. I never had the nerve to do something like that, but I thought about it once or twice! Have your kids tried this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad to make you laugh! And no, my boys don't know of my school escapades and bad habits and are still way too afraid of "trouble" to try anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So delightful to visit and be entertained by the annie's antics! I think most kids try something like this at least once and hopefully only once!

    I had a student do his division on the calculator and wonder how I knew he hadn't done it. The lack of work made it pretty obvious. Our sins do find us out:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny that the lesson to be learned from your spelling class turned out to be more about character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Annie's mom, I have to say that reading about her antics makes me realize why I'm so tired in my old age. She wore me out! I'm sure I shouldn't have laughed quite so much and perhaps been a little less amused by her. Mea culpa!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts or Ideas...