Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hmmmm....

Here's the fun today. I'm sitting here trying to rite about the 7th grade and just this week, my oldest child started the 7th grade. I was hoping that going to his school, smelling the building, hearing the sounds would kick me back and I'd be able to write some amusing, funny, or even painful tale.
But it didn't work.
It's kinda like 7th grade didn't even happen.
I can't remember any teachers, I don't know what classes I took, or who I was friends with.
I can see the hallways of the school and even remember which part of the school all the 7th graders were in, but that's about it.
I do have dreams about being in those hallways. I finally quit having "stuck in high school dreams," but the hallways of 7th grade haunt my dreams. The usual, I'm sure-- don't know locker combination, can't find my classes, don't know the material on the tests.

I think that's the year we changed churches, from a Baptist church way across town to the cute little Methodist one right on the corner. I have lots of youth memories, but they really don't come into play until 9th/10th grade.

When I asked my mom about my seventh grade, she drew a blank too. So I think I'm going to believe that it was an ambiguous year with no big events and therefore has no reason to be blocking up my mind-I need the space for lots of other things anyway!

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, 7 years our of High School and I still have vivid nightmares about forgetting where and when my classes are!
    Its funny I couldn't remember anything about some of these years until I sit down to flip through pictures or yearbooks, and then it comes flooding back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't those "blanks" funny? Mine was more around 4th grade - which I remember as a vaguely positive year, but not much detail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What year were you in 7th grade? 92? Was that the year we did the Castle? I think I was in school full time when you were in 7th grade...was that perhaps the first year I was at UAH? Those are years that are fuzzy for me, as well, except I can recall coursework and such. You could write about being a neglected child whose Mother was pursuing academic excellence ;) Did you have Publius during 7th grade? Were we driving the Volkswagon? Maybe we should enlist J's help,. He'd remember. He remembers it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom---It was the 93-94 school year. I think. I was thinking that it was the castle years but I just can't remember. I'd ask my dear darling brother, but I'm almost afraid of wat he'd remember...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty sure that is the year we started attending Aldersgate. It was the year before Teri Lynne came and lived with us. I was working at the Philosophy Department and going to school. We stopped going to the Castle that fall...Dr. G came back in September. Your Dad was gone on travel. A lot. You and Amanda James starting hanging out after we went to Aldersgate. There were still lots of sleepovers with Hannah, even though you were in different schools. Some of it is coming back to me. Does any of that jog your memory? I'm pretty sure Marcia was hanging out at the house a lot. I think you took art in 7th grade and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yearbooks might help, do you remember what electives you took? That was new and exciting for me to actually be able to pick 2-3 of my classes.

    Thanks for at least getting something down.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts or Ideas...