Thursday, June 17, 2010

Life Before School

Ok. This is hard. Pre-school and kindergarten?? I hardly remember yesterday!!
So this will be the stories that I've been told so many times, they might as well be my memories.


I was a pink kitty. But before I was a pink kitty, I wanted a pink kitty. And then since I couldn't have a pink kitty, I decided that my dad was a pink kitty. My dad was amused. He played along. There I was throwing an all out fit at the grocery store with my mother because she wouldn't buy my daddy cat food. After she made me a pink kitty costume, I became the kitty. Spent entire days only meowing. When that got old, mom set my supper on the floor and told me that little kitties eat on the floor not on the table. That cured me.

I remember naptime at KinderCare. I had a blanket to sleep on while other kids had mats. I would ask to "borrow" little boys mats and then "fall asleep" on them. But I almost always faked the nap. If you didn't nap, you got a frowny face stamp on your hand. Manipulating boys and sleep from a young age...

I was a member of a very exclusive choir, the Cat Choir. We would sing all of our favorite songs minus the lyrics with the addition of meowing. Looking back, oh my stars! how annoying!!! But my dad, my brother, and I thought it was fabulous. Poor mom!


And I remember books! Always lots and lots of books!! Apparently that's the only time I would sit still, when I was being read to. This started my love affair with reading! And if we weren't reading, we were listening to music. And playing! No one could play like my mom! But I didn't like her coloring in my coloring book; she didn't always stay within the lines. 

Poor mom, I was hard on her! I was a busy, busy child always getting into misadventures- gum in the hair, gum in the eyebrows, stealing Atomic Fire Balls, scratching the paint on my dad's car and blaming God (my defence-God made my hand do it), loose powder on a dark velvet dress, lotion for the freshly groomed dog, painting my self with bright red lipstick, and the list goes on and on.


I was a handful then, and I don't think that I'm any less of one now!

10 comments:

  1. You were, and still are, one of the most delightful creatures God ever created. And if you can't remember these things, at least you know the stories. I remember them all and ponder them in my heart. I can't BELIEVE we don't have a picture of you in the pink kitty costume! Love you...Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always blamed my brother! I can't believe that you blamed GOD! :o) I guess who was going to punish God, right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little brother did the puppy thing for a long time, only he WANTED to eat on the floor! I love that your dad played along so well! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man...your parents must have had a lot of patience with all your kitty things! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie could never get away with blaming her brother at that point. I was far too angelic or wrapped up in the encyclopedias to have ever done anything wrong.

    And cat choir rocked!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie -
    Those evenings meowing cat songs were so much fun! You were a great daughter to to be a dad to. And pink cat food didn't taste too bad either!
    Thanks for sharing those memories Annie Sue!

    Love,
    Dad (aka pink kitty)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so adorable! My daughter would be so jealous of the pink kitty and the pink kitty choir! What fun you must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Annie, it's so fun to read about your wild and wacky days! I've heard of little girls loving kitties but you take the cake! You are being featured tomorrow as well so more can enjoy your tales.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally faked the naps in kindercare, too! I would spend the hour looking at the opposite wall from where the teacher sat. I thought I was the only one . . .

    Great stories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kitty escapades are hilarious! My 4 year old has been playing puppy lately - he'd love it if I'd let him eat on the floor!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts or Ideas...