Thursday, June 24, 2010

We moved during the middle of my first grade year, from Elmore (AL) to Huntsville (AL). In Elmore we lived in a dollhouse, or at least that's what it looked like. I had the only bedroom on the bottom floor with a window that opened onto the front porch. It was Fabulous!! I could open the window and swing my legs out onto the porch while listening to Casey's Top 40 on my very own radio! How cool is that? I don't remember much about the school. We rode the bus, I had to change classrooms because my room had too many white kids in it and we had to be spread around, and that's all I can tell you about that school. But I do remember that right before we left, my mother set up a real tea party for me and my friends so that we could say goodbye.


And then we moved to Huntsville. A beautiful little house in a neighborhood filled with kids just ready to be my friends. The next door neighbor had a plum tree and was always ready to share. We had a beautiful cocker spaniel named Betsy's who we all loved! I found new and interesting ways to keep my mother amused and busy, such as droping bubble gum into my freshly permed hair. Memories float in and out about the last half of my first grade year, but meeting my best friend is something I'll never forget. Met in the first grade and we're still in contact today. And not only were we best friends, but her older brother and my older brother were best friends too and our parents all liked each other!! Now that doesn't happen every day, but I'm glad it did!



It's hard to talk about first grade, or any other grade, without talking about my brother too. He was Jay then and J now but he's always been my  brother. We've been the best of friends and the fiercest adversaries and always loved each other. We've both put our parents through our own versions of hell, but life was simple when I was in the first grade and we didn't know what real trouble was. I really do feel sorry for anyone out there who didn't have a sibling like I have. Just older enough that he could teach me things that I probably didn't need to know, but close enough to be my friend. Someone to laugh with, someone to fuss with, someone to tell me the things I don't remember, and someone to commiserate with the things I do remember!


I'm glad I'm not there, 7 years old, anymore, but it was great, and I wouldn't change a thing!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, it is amazing that you have been friends with your best friend since you were 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my book, the oldest friends are the best kind. My best friend and I have been best friends since our first ballet class. She was in the purple tutu, her little sister in the blue, and I, in the pink. :o) Welp, now that I remember that, it's just another thing that I left out of my own recollection. Thanks for reminding me of a good memory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving can be difficult, but you seemed to have transitioned well. I'm glad it was a happy time for you. So many others this week seemed to have very difficult experiences during this year. I'm with you, there were lots of good times for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dollhouse really was cute. And do you remember the statue of Bob (aka Bob's Big Boy" next door, holding the mailbox with reflectors in his eyes? That whole move was quite an adventure for us. I'm so happy that you have good memories of that time. I do, too. I also have memories of more than a few trips to the ER and about a thousand stitches! Love you dearly, My Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great photos! That's awesome that you got along with your brother so well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special friendship! How lucky for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts or Ideas...