Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Me, Part 1

First of all, we have to get one thing straight.

 I was not born.

 I was surgically extracted. And yes, my parents found it amusing to have a little girl who would say that to anyone who asked when my birthday was. So I proudly celebrate a "surgical extraction" day rather than a boring old "birth day."

I was extracted in USAFA, Colorado (that's the United States Air Force Academy Base.) There was snow on the ground and a deer outside my mother's window. Unlike my big brother who wasn't coming into this world easily or happily, I was a delightful little surgical procedure. Well, maybe not so little, but delightful nonetheless. Might also be the last time I was easy for my mother.

Now for the name- Charlotte Anne Lambirth McFetridge.

That's a mouthful. It also implies a certain regal-ness and gracefulness that I've never been able to achieve. Four names, and I don't go by any of them.

But it's a beautiful name and I love my name even with minor modifications due to marriage. My father chose my name for me, but my mom decided I'd be Annie.

Charlotte is in honor of my grandmother, Charlotte Buster. This woman is a light in my heart and a force of nature to be reckoned with. I was named well because I am very much like her in many good ways.

Anne came from my mother's name, Mollianne. I don't know why my dad decided that he should name me after my mom, but I always assume that it was out of great love and affection.

Lambirth was my dad's biological father's last name; he was adopted which is where the McFetridge came from.

I proudly (most of time) carried that name for 25 years. And thanks to my darling Forest, I am now Charlotte Anne Brown. Slightly shorter and a whole lot easier to say, especially over the phone.

I despised my folks at times for naming me one thing and calling me another. I was embarrassed by my first name frequently. But then I grew up and realized that my name is a thing of beauty and honors some of the people I love the most.

Annie suits me best, but I will always be Charlotte Anne.

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad that the burden of your name has eased some, Annie. Once, when I called you the whole thing, Charlotte Anne Lambirth McFetridge, you looked at me with those huge blue eyes and a quivering lip, stomped your foot and said, "Don't call me Lammy!" I love you with all my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I might add that your initials spelled out the word CALM...Ha!!! You were anything but that, but I love you just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart warms as the thought of YOU named aftr ME!!! You are SO Special...and the burden of Charlotte becomes lighter as time marches on...I did not like it either. I was forever learning to spell it and could not pronounce it at first {they tell me}. At any rate, I tell folks, with pride, that I have a grand daughter named Charlotte!!!! I do love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name Charlotte! And we talk about my son being extracted too, although he doesn't know it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I is so wonderful to read both you and your mother's accounts! And to read your comments to one another as well! As for your name, Charlotte was one of the front-runners in the race to name my first daughter. In retrospect, I almost wish that I had, since there are so many Emmas out there, but just as you fit yours, she IS Emma Claire. There is NO denying that. Oh, and Annie. I love that name. It is what my grandmother always called me until my mom asked her to stop (She minded. I didn't.) :o) Looking forward to more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family has a tendancy to go by names other than what they're given - I'm actually unusual that I don't! I love that your name has so much meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was extracted, too, but never really thought of it that way! I love all your names. And how important they are to your parents and now to you. I love names so much and wish I was named after family members. We've done that with our girls' middle names.

    I posted late today, but it's finally up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My beautiful cousin-friend ... I love you! And I love you more and more as we build this grown-up friendship. Family by birth ... friends by choice!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you weren't born but "surgically extracted"! So adorable! I can tell this is going to be a fun experience getting to know you this way!
    Daisie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous that several of you in this group are related! My mom wouldn't even know where to begin with a blog! And I too am named one thing (two names) and am called something completely different...keeps it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so interesting to hear how names are chosen and yes Charlotte Anne is lovely, but Annie does sounds like it suits you. Love the "fire" in your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mom sent me your blog information and now I am a follower...yea! I love this story of your name, it's great! I just told my Mollianne about the no birth day but the "surgically extracted" day and she loves it! If you don't mind, she plans on using that. Your are a sweet girl Charlotte Anne Brown and I love you very much Annie!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts or Ideas...